I thought that I would do something different this post and talk about a new journey that I have begun……………….
Lately I have felt so overwhelmed because I feel that NO ONE is doing much for my health except feed me chemo meds, biologics, steroids and pain medication. Between Big Pharma and all my “specialist’s,”I am broke all the time and my health stays the same. This fact alone drives me crazy. I am so tired of $1600 bills for 5-10 minutes of “Dr time.” I am tired of filling out paperwork to get assistance to help pay for my medications that cost $1135 a month. I am tired of it all. Health Care sucks.
All of this has prompted me to search for answers on my own. Outside of eat this or that (which does not work for anyone,)exercise more, be positive, I have been reading a lot about Adverse Childhood Experiences and how trauma affects our lives including our health. For me this makes complete sense so much that I have taken some steps to work on this part of my life. If you are curious about ACE and or want to take the main test….click on this link ACE
Just like changing your foods, exercising, positive reinforcement and medication; ACE may not be your answer. However for me, talking about my negative childhood/adult situations may be helpful and at this point anything is better than nothing. Until recently I had very little knowledge on how much trauma affects the body. To date, I have tested high on 2 ACE tests which has prompted me to really dig into this subject. Several physicians along with Kaiser Permanente have done research on people with autoimmune diseases, cancer and heart disease and found out that trauma in children and young adults leads to Chronic flight, fight or freeze states. The US National Library Of Medicine National Institutes Of Health in 2014 put out a publication that researchers of Yale found that when inflammatory stress hormones flood the body and brain, they alter the genes that oversee our stress reactivity, re-setting the stress response to a High. This increased inflammation, which can later manifest to cancer, autoimmune disease and other chronic illnesses.
Some ACE facts are:
64% of adults have experienced at least one or more adverse Childhood Experience.
- The more ACE’S you have, the greater the risk for chronic disease, mental illness, violence and being a victim of violence.
- People with an ACE score of 4 are twice as likely to be smokers and seven times more likely to be alcoholic.
- People with high ACE scores are more likely to be violent, to have more marriages, more broken bones, more drug prescriptions, more depression, and more autoimmune diseases.
- People with an ACE score of 6 or higher are at risk of their lifespan being shortened by 20 years.
- ACE’S are responsible for a big chunk of workplace absenteeism, and for costs in health care, emergency response, mental health and criminal justice. So, the fifth finding from the ACE Study is that childhood adversity contributes to most of our major chronic health, mental health, economic health and social health issues.
If you score high on the ACE test too, it might be something you want to look into also. My opinion is this….what do we have to lose? I once read that all disease is multi factorial, so why are most Doctors only trying to fix our body and not our mind?
Do I believe this is going to fix everything….No but I believe that this process(which so far has been hard) is going to be helpful and if it does more than my expectations then GREAT. I want my body to know that I am still in this fight and that I am willing to do whatever it takes to make even a little difference because right now I am just sitting here waiting to die. This is no way to live.
With that said, I will be sharing my trauma with you all(IN THE NEXT FEW DAYS, in a dedicated post titled Childhood Scars,) for 2 reasons:
- I know it is hard for any of us to share such personal stuff BUT if my story can help just 1 person then everything that I am going through is all worth it….for the most part ;-P
- Sharing is therapeutic and it is a part of my journey
If you want to share your story, please do….if you need my help, my hand is here to pull you up…You are NOT alone……OXOX